When we aren’t limited by the constraints and responsibilities of every day life, it’s remarkable what we can achieve. But when we don’t have access to a school, education, sanitary facilities, and a supportive community, we fail to reach our full potential. And when children fail to reach their full vibrant potential , the world misses out.
Our Children Africa is an organization dedicated to providing quality Africentric education with emphasis on literacy, leadership development, and reproductive health education. Our goal is to empower children in Ghana through education to remove the barriers which prevent them from escaping the cycle of poverty and undermine their meaningful development. We want our children to ‘shoot for the stars” and believe that the ” the sky is only the beginning”.
Today in Ghana ,while huge progress has been made in providing universal education, it is still estimated that more than 800,000 Ghanaian children aged 6-11 years were not attending primary school and for the age group of 6-14 , the number of out-of-school children increases up to one million. In addition statistics by the Ghana Health Services has revealed that in 2012 about 750,000 teenagers between the ages of 15 and 19 became pregnant in Ghana.
Our Children Africa works to empower children in Ghana through education, and remove the barriers which prevent them from escaping the cycle of poverty and undermine their meaningful development.
In Ghana these barriers include:
- Access to sufficient primary school infrastructure (classrooms, sanitary facilities , etc.)
- Shortage of qualified teachers, particularly in rural and deprived urban areas
- Family economic situations resulting in alternatives to education for children (farming, market work etc.)
- Active community and parent participation in monitoring attendance and ensuring access of the most vulnerable children
- Lack of ongoing adolescent reproductive health education.
Our commitment is to provide support through
- Primary education through improved literacy and numeracy training
- Ongoing teacher training in primary literacy and numeracy
- Ongoing programs of Reproductive Health Education for adolescents
- School construction in rural and economically challenged urban areas
- Youth Leadership Development Programs